At ANC, we believe we have a responsibility to:
- carry out business in an environmentally responsible manner
- identify and manage any environmental risks
- take actions with impact to deliver our sustainability responsibilities.
ANC has an active register of environmental objectives and targets which include these key sustainability actions.
- Reduce vehicle emissions through increasing the number of alternative energy vehicles
- Improve route optimisation with continuous data capture, measurement and reporting
- Reducing annual electricity consumption by 3% p/a
- Reduce paper and printing by 5% p/a
- Reduce average kilometres of air travel by 6% p/a
- Segment all waste for recycling
- Reduce water consumption by 2% p/a
100% Electric Vehicles
ANC launched our first three electric vehicles in March 2019 in partnership with IKEA. ANC’s electric vehicles (EV) comprise a Hino 917 Series truck base built without a motor, gearbox, and exhaust, replaced with SEA Drive 120a electric components by Australian-based SEA Electric and a custom designed cargo box. The modular electric driveline enables the replacement of individual components as technology advances, extending the vehicle’s lifecycle.
Hear about our journey to delivering these EVs and some of the many environmental and business benefits of electric vehicles.
Key Benefits of 100% Electric Vehicles
- Zero emissions – saving an estimated 36 metric tonnes CO2 saved annually per truck (compared to a diesel vehicle)
- Longer life battery packs with end-of-life 99.7% recyclable (or repurposed as battery storage for solar PV in housing in China)
- Overall weight of the truck lighter (motor, gearbox, exhaust, fuel weight removed) with payload weight for cargo increase 400kg – 500kg
- Electric vehicles use 33-40% less energy per kilometre compared to diesel trucks (energy measured in Mega Joules per Kilometre)
- Capable of 350km from one charge, fully loaded – significantly more than other EVs
- Electric vehicles can use electricity produced from renewable sources
- Less noise in our metropolitan urban environments
- Custom designed and built cargo box, better equipped to carry bulky goods
- Taller cargo box at 2.5metres which allows for a larger number of bulky goods to be packed vertically, enabling an average 17 deliveries per run, compared to the standard 10-12 deliveries per run
- Improved driver experience (less noise, less heat, less vibrations, roomier cab) supports CoR objectives including fatigue and the last mile customer experience
ANC has developed a bespoke route optimisation program to reduce average kilometres driven, another positive environmental impact. ANC’s worked in conjunction with the UTS Industry Doctoral Training Centre Program to measure and develop the route optimisation. UTS provide a scholarship to a student with ANC as the industry partner. This powerful graduate program and partnership with the Innovation Connections Project, has developed the ANC route optimisation algorithm.
The unique algorithm overlaid with commercial software has increased delivery run efficiency with improved delivery density. Since March 2018, ANC has:
- decreased kilometres driven by up to 30% per delivery run
- reduced the kilometres per delivery run
- decreased fuel consumption (electric or diesel)
- minimises brake dust particulate pollution
- reduced the fleet’s contribution to traffic congestion.
ANC has developed an Environmental Policy Statement to support our commitments. In summary (or download the full version here) ANC will:
- comply with laws, regulations and client requirements
- report and review environmental objectives
- control the impact of our operations
- communicate responsibilities to employees, consultants and subcontractors
- provide appropriate education
- establish and maintain an environmental program
- seek to minimise pollution and use of natural resources
- review this policy systematically.
To ensure our environmental policy goals are more than just well intended words, we:
- provide the leadership, support and resources to manage environmental risks and keep reducing our environmental impact
- ensure all employees cooperate and contribute to meet policy goals
- avoid activities that could adversely impact the environment
- encourage employees to report all environmental impacts, including defective vehicles, spills of materials and wastes and any suspected or actual pollution.