Williams-Sonoma Case Study: Home delivery and assembly excellence
“Great notification service. Quick and efficient delivery and assembly.”
ABOUT THE CLIENT
Williams Sonoma-Inc (WSI) offers thousands of hand-selected products from around the world including a wide variety of furniture all characterised by their commitment to premium-quality, artisan craftsmanship and cutting-edge innovation. To deliver their premium furniture and continue the quality customer experience, Williams Sonoma needed a premium transport partner for their last mile delivery – hence ANC.
Our relationship commenced in 2016 with our delivery professionals servicing stores in NSW, VIC, WA, QLD and SA, plus Tasmania from our VIC operations. ANC provide a dedicated delivery fleet of 20 vehicles including 2 tonne vans, 4 tonne light trucks and 6 tonne Pantech tailgates.
Our home delivery professionals ensure over 4,100 deliveries for 11,500 items per month are safely and meticulously delivered into the homes of WSI customers.
- DIFOT for same day delivery: 100% on 2,354 items (March 2020)
- DIFOT for within delivery window: 98% on 2306 items (March 2020)
- Net Promotor Score: 66 (March 2020)
- 92% of WSI customers ‘strongly agree’ with driver presentation, courtesy and care
TRANSPORT & DELIVERY CHALLENGE
- Williams Sonoma recognised the incumbent provider offered a ‘traditional’ transport service.
- WSI was wanting a transport partner to deliver a consistent and coherent customer experience paralleled with the in-store and online brand experience.
- WSI needed a delivery partner experienced in customisation to WSI specific brand needs.
CONSULTATIVE and STRATEGIC
- ANC designed a bespoke offering through ANC’s ability to develop a transport solution unique to WSI’s specific customer promise.
- Customer focused not transport controlled, ensuring the premium in-store customer experience carries through to the last mile delivery.
- Customised service offering based on current needs with flexibility for modification driven by WSI growth.
- Data driven insights and shared customer respect led to process improvements including quality tracking of NPS outcomes, ability to expand the ‘deluxe assembly’ service across a larger geographic footprint and provide a more consistent deluxe standard nationally due to detailed training across the fleet.
- Proactive initiatives improved systems throughout the delivery cycle.
- Extended offering with two-man delivery PLUS assembly has significantly simplified and elevated the last mile experience.
- Extended geographic area enabling William Sonoma to reach more clients and transact more sales.
- Regular Quarterly Business Reviews (QBRs) feature review of joint initiatives, shared focus, NPS and KPIs demonstrating outcomes and impacts, future priorities.
TRAINING and PERFORMANCE STANDARDS
- All ANC delivery professionals thoroughly inducted into WSI brand history, products, procedures, services and delivery expectation.
- Product specific, ongoing training throughout the year with in-store product familiarisation.
- ANC delivery professionals included in WSI “floor set” change overs.
- Unique, tailored, client specific driver profiling and training including Certification Level 3 ensuring outstanding DIFOT and NPS.
PERFORMANCE METRICS DRIVING CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENTS
- Daily metrics contribute to weekly reports and monthly meetings, all driving towards continuous improvements.INTENSIVE CUSTOMER CONTACT and SERVICE
- ANC commit to a minimum of six points of contact with customer to ensure clear communication and manage expectations.
- Customer receives SMS or call with three hour delivery window from ANC the evening prior to delivery.
- Customer contacted one hour prior or on approach (minimum contact 30mins prior) to inform of estimated time of arrival (ETA).
- “Customer resolve comes first” is the baseline for solution and satisfaction guarantees.
SMART, SAFE and PROFESSIONAL
- Delivery professionals fully secured with safety and COR training and ongoing re-induction.
- ANC mandatories include fully uniformed two-person teams in clean, high quality vehicles.
- On road driver support network and infield training.
- Customer vouchers given during promotional periods as directed by WSI.
CHOICE OF SERVICES
- Seven days a week delivery choice for customers
- Small furniture and larger homeware items are delivered into room of choice
- Deluxe Service includes furniture pre-assembled and repackaged for safe transit.
- Items carefully carried into the room of choice, unpacked, fully assembled and all packaging removed and responsibly recycled.
- Exceptional Service includes furniture items of exceptional weight and size as directed by the dedicated Customer Care Team based on Exceptional Delivery Criteria.
BENEFITS and OUTCOMES
- Elimination of damage and escalation issues, ultimately reducing significant cost of ‘make good’.
- Sales volumes have increased due to greater delivery coverage and extended zones.
- WSI and ANC branded toolkits for elevating the delivery team in-home assembly experience.
- WSI branded vehicles delivering a powerful brand message through the metro areas, directly to the front door experience.
- Flexibility to increase and/or decrease delivery fleet service days based on volume and customer demand.
- Uplan, an ANC tech innovation, gives the customer the ability to select delivery date online, giving full control and visibility of the delivery process to the customer.
- New invoice reconciliation and processing giving greater transparency.
- ANC and WSI continually revisit the rate structure to ensure driver teams, WSI and ANC are fairly remunerated, demonstrating shared values of honesty, care and respect.
- Shared learnings between WSI USA and ANC Australia, with ANC recognised as providing a “fantastic client and customer service”.
- Ongoing, systematic training projects for new product lines.
- Reduced lead times from customer order to customer delivery, improved by 2 to 4 days.
- Consistent account management since 2016.
WHAT OUR CLIENTS SAY
“I’ve heard great things about your support to date for our transition to ANC, thank you. I wanted to personally recognise the additional work you and the team did for the last minute delivery for The Block on Saturday. I really appreciate all the extra effort and support to make that contestants experience with our brands a great one! Thank you.”
Managing Director, Williams Sonoma Australia
“Thank you to everyone involved, in particular Robin Harris and the QLD team. This delivery was to Byron Bay and took a lot of detailed coordinating and communication.”
Director, Williams Sonoma Australia
“We did a special trip on behalf of WSI from Melbourne to Tasmania, where we had a crew go across Bass Strait on SeaRoad Shipping, deliver over two days and return. One of the main orders to confirm the trip was a lady called Donna, who fitted out her entire house. Email has come through now that Donna was so happy with the service, she is fitting out her holiday house and ANC is again sailing for Tassie. Great effort to the driving crew 3505 and to the VIC Ops team for organising such a complex job. She also praised you guys and said the drivers were wonderful so good job to everyone all around.”
Distribution Coordinator, Williams Sonoma Australia
“Thank you so much to everyone and the awesome team work on being able to get this to happen for the Berry family. I honestly cannot thank you all enough for getting this together and going above and beyond.”
Store Manager, West Elm Fortitude Valley QLD
WHAT OUR CUSTOMERS SAY
“Thank you for the efforts of your team yesterday. Chris very kindly called me yesterday and was extremely apologetic and explained some of the challenges you have been having. The good news is, I got a call from a wonderful lady called Kylee from your new delivery partners and she has promised me, my furniture will be arriving on Saturday morning – which I am very excited about! Once again thank you for all your help and really appreciate how hard Chris and the team have worked to turn a very negative experience into a positive one!”
“The delivery team, Nick and Kazu, are SO great. They’ve both done such a great job in the heat – we are so grateful. Thank you team for making this such a smooth delivery.”
“I ordered a sofa, couple of chairs and a rug from Pottery Barn and initially had a number of challenges with the order, but finally spoke to an amazing guy called Chris who got everything sorted. All my furniture arrived on Saturday at the exact time promised. And the delivery guys were really good, they positioned the furniture exactly where I wanted it and took all the rubbish away. Will definitely be buying from them again.”
“My drivers were awesome – some of the politest and most respectful people. So considerate.”
“Very quick and professional.”
“They were careful and prompt. It was easy to track and also keep in touch to know exactly when delivery time would be.”
“Very polite staff, installed everything and took all the rubbish away.”
“Excellent communication, delivery on time. Fantastic service, thank you.”
“Excellent, they called before. Mohammad was wonderfully helpful, allowed me to organise someone to be there and the whole experience was completed, 12/10 stars.”
“The system you use is very efficient, I’m really impressed. The two men who delivered my item were very friendly and professional.”
“Very professional n obliging.”
“Great notification service. Quick and efficient delivery and assembly.”
“We have had ANC deliver a few items for us now and have been so impressed by the efficiency of this organisation. Communication is amazing and the people are so accommodating. Best delivery company we have ever had.”
“The delivery guys we on time, unpacked everything and took all the rubbish away. Great service!”
“Amazing. I love the tracking, but the delivery team’s professionalism was amazing too.”
“Very friendly service and quick assembly.”
“Boys were fantastic.”
“On time and very helpful.”
“Good communication, delivered as stated. A1.”
“I changed delivery location last minute and was great about it.”