Miele Case Study: Home delivery and installation excellence
“Clone those installers! They went over and above...”
ABOUT THE CLIENT
Miele has been an independent family-owned company since its establishment in 1899.
The company focus is on manufacturing household appliances for the kitchen, laundry and floor care, as well as appliances for use in commercial operations and medical facilities (Miele Professional). The strategic vision is to be the world’s most trusted and desirable premium brand.
Miele offers products that set the standards for durability, performance, ease of use, energy efficiency, design and service. The company focuses exclusively on the Miele brand and its consistent positioning in the premium segment.
Miele commenced work with ANC in 2018 in QLD and SA, with two-man teams in premium Pantech trucks. Since then the relationship has grown to NSW covering Sydney metro, Canberra, Wollongong, the Blue Mountains and Newcastle with a fleet of 17 vehicles including 2-3 project trucks delivering to new developers.
- Total number of deliveries (nationally): 40,286 (May 2019-April 2020)
- Customer Satisfaction: 89% (April 2020)
- Net Promotor Score: 66 (April 2020)
- Zero safety breaches
- Driver Star Rating: 4.7/5 (April 2020)
- Savings of 10%+ for Miele on transport
TRANSPORT & DELIVERY CHALLENGES
LACK OF CONSISTENT LAST MILE EXPERIENCE
- Various smaller, state-based providers lacked the national brand coverage.
- After working with Miele for 20+ years, it was a significant decision for Miele to change transport providers.
- The previous transport providers were providing an inconsistent experience, disconnected from the premium brand position of Miele.
- A transactional relationship delivering from A to B without account management, systematic reviews towards continuous improvement.
- Miele was seeking a transport partner with initiatives and improvements, including technology to delivery customer connectivity throughout the last mile.
- Miele were looking for a national transport partner, experienced in Net Promotor Score metrics, the last mile customer experience, and a culture of continuous improvement, zero complacency.
- Miele was seeking a transport partner with a national footprint, committed to challenging the status quo and ‘pushing the barrow’.
- Previous transport providers offered limited account management and reporting.
CONSISTENT NATIONAL OFFERING
- ANC QLD completing regional runs into Toowoomba and Ballina weekly, Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast daily, from Brisbane based Miele DC.
- ANC SA serviced by three two-man teams in premium Pantech vehicles from Miele DC doing metro coverage, home delivery and Miele Associates (MAs).
- ANC SA offers flexibility for increase or scale with volumes and seasonal peaks.
- ANC NSW covers Sydney metro, Canberra three days a week, Wollongong two days a week, Newcastle daily, and the Blue Mountains, via a fleet of 17 vehicles including 2-3 project trucks delivering to new developers.
- Building the NSW fleet included transitioning five incumbent teams in Sydney, and recruiting 12 more.
- Cooperative, realistic timeframe allowing 12 weeks to implement transition, thus ensuring adequate training and preparation.
- All delivery teams have been through extensive training according to the Miele brand experience and ANC safety and compliance, a training program co-created with Miele and ANC.
- Training included a three-day installation program with the fourth day dedicated to the Miele culture and customer service expectations.
- Immediate deployment of teams following their training for hands-on application of the learnings.
- Miele technicians audit ANC delivery teams, document processes, assess technical competency, customer tutorials and the overall customer experience. These reviews feed into an awards and recognition system, and continuous improvement.
- Quarterly audits are ongoing with ANC up-skilling and retraining based on product changes.
- Training session on new products systematically built into the Miele sales cycle.
- Weekly onsite meetings with the Miele warehouse team, managed by state based Account Managers, minuted actions for continuous improvement and accountability.
- Driver incentive program for all delivery teams, demanding a consistent 4.5/5 star rating, with $100-$500 monthly bonus available to top performing delivery teams.
- ANC produce comprehensive state-based weekly and monthly reports including customer satisfaction survey reporting, incentive program tracking, COR compliance, damages and investigations.
BENEFITS & OUTCOMES
THE SCOPE OF OUR SERVICES
- Delivery, assembly, installation of washing machines and clothes dryers, including full integrated dishwasher installations, removal of old comparable product and removal of rubbish.
- Demonstration of product for customer and running of test cycles on machines before completion of the job.
- ANC offered a more comprehensive and cost-effective transport model due to competitive market rates and by reconfiguring to a drop model.
- ANC offered onsite daily operational support through key operational hours.
- State based account management overseen by ANC National Account Manager ensures national service excellence and consistency.
- KPI reporting, metrics and format developed in partnership with Miele, based on their business imperatives, include total hours worked, broken down to normal time, double time, time plus half, star rating 4.5/5 or more average star rating, plus NPS.
- Complete visibility of services including delivery, installation, time taken to complete task (micro) and working day (macro).
- Visibility driving productivity.
- ANC more cost effective through measurement, accountability, transparency and reporting.
- A consistent, stable, highly trained fleet of drivers, who know the Miele business and Miele brand experience.
- ANC can scale quickly to manage volume spikes driven through installation promotion and sales period, with sensational outcomes and a very happy Warehouse Manager.
- Transparency in average drop rate, drop cost, exploring different modelling demonstrates true partnership and drives improvements.
- Simple improvements such as starting delivery runs earlier in key regional runs (Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast) enables the ANC team to manoeuvre through less traffic, with less travel time, greater efficiencies and less fatigue.
- Earlier load times created earlier delivery times, and greater capacity.
WHAT OUR CLIENTS SAY
“I just wanted to thank Kate (Nelson) for her efforts in driving Project Drei. It was also noticeable as we went live in NSW. Kate is exceptional at project management and follow up. I appreciate her efforts in pulling all the teams together and keeping them on track. Good stuff.”
Logistics Director ANZ, Miele Australia
WHAT OUR CUSTOMERS SAY
“Clone those installers! They went over and above… I don’t need any more appliances but I feel like buying something just to experience that level of customer service again! #rarity old fashioned professionalism. Thank you.”
I would like to formally compliment one of your drivers for his assistance today. Jebran and Muner were delivering a washing machine for me to Pyrmont from Miele. Somehow when I ordered the washer the only thing I ordered was delivery, not delivery and installation. You can imagine my angst when I was told by Jebran that he was only there to deliver the machine. It was also clear that he had a lot of other deliveries today so did not have the time to install my machine. Jebran, whilst keen to finish his jobs and get back to his family, came to my rescue. He offered to come back at around 2pm to install it for me. True to his word he returned and installed the machine with nothing less than a smile and friendly demeanour. He was a true lifesaver for me today and I very much appreciate his efforts. Jebran is a true credit for your company and I’m very grateful he was the guy on my delivery today.”
“I just wanted to place on record my appreciation for the wonderful delivery and installation service that was provided by your Miele delivery and installation team (Jebran and his offsider). Nothing was too much trouble for Jebran when it came to the installation of my new Miele dishwasher and the removal of my 15-year old machine. First class job!”