Cement Australia Case Study: Corporate delivery fleet
“ANC are highly principled people with a high level of care.”
ABOUT THE CLIENT
Cement Australia is the nation’s leading supplier of cement products and services. They supply major concrete producers, building and engineering contractors, leading retail building suppliers and some of the Australia’s largest mines.
As with all ANC clients, they require more than just an A to B delivery service. To be the best in their industry, they need a transport partner that:
- helps them do business in better and more efficient ways
- can adapt to their needs and is open to new ideas
- employs drivers who are trained to meet rigorous WHS and COR policy requirements with a Zero Harm commitment.
Cement Australia has been a valued ANC client since 2009.
- The volume of cement to be distributed each day can vary greatly.
- The previous transport company could only provide a limited and inflexible fleet and solution.
- When volumes increased, they needed to hire extra vehicles at an additional cost to Cement Australia.
- But when volumes decreased, Cement Australia was still charged for the fixed delivery fleet cost.
WEREN’T RECEIVING IMPORTANT INFORMATION
- The previous supplier offered no data or feedback on initiatives/improvements that ensured Cement Australia were receiving the most cost-effective and efficient distribution services.
THE ANC TEAM SOLUTION
SMARTER FLEET MANAGEMENT
- ANC’s transport and logistics specialists performed a detailed and thorough review of Cement Australia’s transport operation – including customer site access and priorities – resulting in restructured routes, a mix of trucks and the introduction of PDA transport technology.
- Onsight consignment allocator and dispatcher supporting Cement Australia’s operations.
- Introduced a fully variable charging model
- A core delivery fleet to handle average day volumes
- An expandable and contractible delivery fleet for peak and quiet periods.
- Permanent delivery drivers who know the systems, procedures and Cement Australia’s unique requirements.
- Drivers not required by Cement Australia allocated to other ANC work, ensuring the drivers are also cared for
- Technology advancements enabling online POD’s and timely customer billing and pallet control features.
MEANINGFUL ANALYSIS AND DELIVERABLES
- Closely reviewed Cement Australia delivery routes for best possible options.
Put in place KPIs based around efficient management e.g. time, signatures, data provided, new technology.
- ANC compliance in construction and high risk areas.
- Online track and trace with sign on glass PODs and pallet control ensures accurate and time relevant information through continuous monitoring and reporting.
BENEFITS AND OUTCOMES
- Reduced distribution cost per tonne.
- Greatly improved distribution process. Clients receive deliveries earlier.
- More tonnes delivered per day.
- Smart technology used to monitor all POD’s and pallet control.
- Drivers get paid more for deliveries creating loyalty, consistency and good will, while Cement Australia saves.
- Permanent delivery drivers are an integral part of the Cement Australia customer service team. Client has instant access to data to know exact cost and volume position at any moment.
- Regular senior management meetings to ensure continuous improvement.
- Approx. 70,000 tonnes delivered per year with a DIFOT of 99.74%.
WHAT OUR CLIENTS SAY
“ANC is not just another transport provider – ANC totally “transformed” Cement Australia’s transport solution. They are highly principled people with a high level of care. Their point of difference is providing feedback and intelligence to improve our business. My experience demonstrates they are superior through diligence of analysis provided.”
National Logistics Manager, Cement Australia