Bunnings Case Study: Home and trade delivery fleet
"Others don’t have a thimble of experience compared to ANC."
ABOUT THE CLIENT
Bunnings Warehouse (Bunnings) is the leading retailer of home improvement and outdoor living products in Australia and a major supplier to project builders, commercial tradespeople and the housing industry. They have been a valued ANC client since 2009.
As the ‘face of Bunnings’, ANC delivery drivers look after almost 300,000 deliveries to homes, businesses and building sites around Australia each year. So they need to provide the great customer experience that the Bunnings name has been built on – every time.
ANC currently services 187 stores and six trade sites with a mix of 200 vehicles including one-tonne utes with racks, vans through to crane trucks.
Our home delivery professionals ensure over 24,000 deliveries per month are safely delivered into the homes, offices and onto work sites for Bunnings Warehouse.
- Total number of deliveries (nationally) 2019: 321,368
- Delivery on Time and in Full: 98.2%
- Net Promotor Score: 70 (April 2020)
TRANSPORT & DELIVERY CHALLENGES
NO CONSOLIDATED APPROACH TO DELIVERIES
- Bunnings was using a wide range of providers for their deliveries.
- The process was cost and time inefficient.
LACK OF DRIVER EXPERTISE AND MOTIVATION
- Hugely diverse product range, often challenging to deliver e.g. long, fragile, heavy, and into very challenging and diverse commercial and residential locations.
- Goods often need to be hand loaded and unload, with preparation of freight a key to efficient transport solutions.
- WHS and COR is vitally important.
- Delivery sites can present challenges e.g. from building sites to homes and retail centres.
- On time customer delivery service needed every day of the year (excluding Christmas Day) from 7am to 9pm – including peak periods such as Christmas, Easter, Father’s Day and long weekends.
- Finding drivers with the experience, capabilities and passion to take on this work – and represent the Bunnings brand previously proved difficult.
THEFT AND MISINFORMATION
- Goods were often delivered to unsupervised building sites with no formal receipt of goods or signature. Theft was a common issue.
- The delivery services were manual in nature. No accurate information about driver whereabouts or exactly what was delivered.
- In-depth recruitment and security check process to find highly experienced, trustworthy, professional drivers.
- Drivers are trained specifically for Bunnings unique work.
- The best vehicles for the job are used – from one-tonne utes with racks through to crane trucks.
- ANC have developed a user defined easy-to-use online booking page to enable Bunnings team members to quickly book customer deliveries.
- ANC have worked with Bunnings to significantly simplify the service offer and remove complexity for team members.
- ANC Account Managers have worked closely with Bunnings stores to report and remove demurrage.
- All deliveries are tracked in real time and monitored closely by our Operations teams in each state.
- Geotagged photographic evidence as proof of delivery, are available in real time to Bunnings.
- For unsupervised building sites, drivers are equipped with mobile App technology to take photos of site, delivery contents and all delivery longitude and latitude points can pinpoint exactly where the goods were delivered.
- Service has evolved to serve the client’s evolving business and customer requirements including the Bunnings online offer actively marketed, ‘click & deliver’, economy parcels including contactless deliveries since COVID-19.
- Supported Bunnings TVC selling ‘click & deliver’ with contactless delivery by ANC.
- Online has changed the business and transport strategies significantly.
BENEFITS & OUTCOMES
- Improved delivery offer for Bunnings customers.
- An easy to understand customer offer making Bunnings team members comfortable selling the home delivery offer.
- ANC and Bunnings team members working closely together to ensure positive customer outcomes.
- ANC support and a “yes we can” attitude.
- Full compliance with WHS team of drivers who positively represent the strong Bunnings brand.
- Bunnings team members can monitor drivers and when to expect them at the next job.
- Greater continuity, consistency, scalable capacity for peak periods eg Christmas, Easter, long weekends etc.
- Zero theft due to use of technology and reporting procedures.
- Critical information and proof-of-delivery has reduced potential bad debts for Bunnings.
- Savings and greater efficiency through ongoing analysis of routes and driver feedback.
WHAT OUR CLIENTS SAY
“Across the board, they’re the transport experts, others don’t have a thimble of experience compared to ANC.”
“Things go wrong in transport, it is a reactive environment, with traffic, products, vehicles etc. ANC’s ability to respond to issue with minimal pain means they’re easy to deal with day-to-day, friendly, helpful. They keep it simple and easy for my team.”
“What I value most about the relationship is the honesty, transparency, their commitment to the relationship and follow through.”
“With Click & Deliver going live last week and all the restrictions on public movements, we have seen a dramatic increase in orders come through from our customers. The overwhelming feedback from our customers is that they love it and the service it provides to keep them safe at home and continue on with their projects or business. What has also come through loud and clear from our customers is their satisfaction with the ANC service and their drivers when they are delivering the orders to the customer. This is a great win for our business helping to drive sales and service any way we can at the moment with great support from ANC.”
Bunnings Complex Manager, Midland WA
“It’s down to Bob and Darren, they are irreplaceable to my business. They’re part of our team and always included.”
“The value ANC offers our business is huge. They represent our business, if they get that wrong we lose customers. We proactively ask for feedback and some customers request ‘Bob from ANC’. When that happens it’s a good spot to be in.”
WHAT OUR CUSTOMERS SAY
“Crane deliver from Bunnings last minute. Driver delivered with professionalism and skill getting my 6m long bundle onto my shallow drive in a cul de sac he had to reverse into. Best service I’ve had in a very long time.”
“We just had a lovely delivery driver delivery our gazebo to McLaren Flat. He is the nicest person I have encountered as a delivery person. Well done to such a kind man”.
“Crane deliver from Bunnings, driver delivered with professionalism and skill getting my 6m long bundle onto my shallow drive in a cul-de-sac he had to reverse into. Poor bloke had recently lost his dog and mine was going crazy at him from the other side of the fence. Best service I’ve had in a very long time. No issues at all with the COR / safety aspect and the crane truck drivers name is Rod Rothwell 311.”
“I would just like to thank you. I had a delivery yesterday afternoon from Bunnings at Bundamba. You would be the first delivery people I have come across that knows just about exactly where their drivers are. The lady I spoke to on the phone was able to tell me approximately what time the driver would be arriving, and was also very pleasant to talk to. I was even able to track the driver as he was approaching. Now all that leaves any other delivery companies for dead. Your driver was very polite and helpful. Thank you again.”
“Just wanted to compliment the delivery we received today from Bunnings Bellambi. Everything from the notifications, tracking, timing, friendly and obliging driver. Well done!”