Bunnings Case Study: Home and trade delivery fleet
“Others don’t have a thimble of experience compared to ANC.”
ABOUT THE CLIENT
Bunnings Warehouse (Bunnings) is the leading retailer of home improvement and outdoor living products in Australia and a major supplier to project builders, commercial tradespeople and the housing industry. They have been a valued ANC client since 2009.
As the ‘face of Bunnings’, ANC delivery drivers look after almost 200,000 deliveries to homes, businesses and building sites around Australia each year. So they need to provide the great customer experience that the Bunnings name has been built on – every time.
NO CONSOLIDATED APPROACH TO DELIVERIES
- Bunnings was using a wide range of courier services for their deliveries.
- The process was cost and time inefficient.
LACK OF DRIVER EXPERTISE AND MOTIVATION
- Hugely diverse product range, often challenging to deliver e.g. long, fragile, heavy, awkward
- Goods often need to be hand loaded and unloaded.
- WHS and COR is vitally important.
- Delivery sites can present challenges e.g. from building sites to homes and retail centres.
- Retaining quality drivers for the long term
- On time customer delivery service needed every day of the year from 7am to 9pm – including peak periods such as Christmas, Easter, Father’s Day, long weekends etc.
- Finding drivers with the experience, capabilities and passion to take on this work – and represent the Bunnings brand – was pivotal to ongoing success.
THEFT AND MISINFORMATION
- Goods are often delivered to unsupervised building sites with no formal receipt of goods or signature. Security had to be resolved.
- The delivery services were manual in nature. No accurate information about driver whereabouts or exactly what was delivered.
THE ANC TEAM SOLUTION
- In-depth recruitment and security check process to find highly experienced, trustworthy delivery drivers.
- Identified high quality incumbent drivers by asking clients and maintaining an on-site presence before, during and after the transition.
- Learning about transitioning driver’s skills, strengths, needs and concerns.
- New and incumbent delivery drivers are trained specifically for Bunnings
- The best vehicles for the job are used – from one-tonne utes with racks to crane trucks.
- Developed an easy-to-use online booking platform so Bunnings team members can quickly book customer deliveries with greater accuracy and efficiency.
- Work with Bunnings to significantly simplify the service offer for team
- ANC Account Managers worked closely with Bunnings stores to report and remove demurrage.
- All deliveries are tracked in real time and monitored closely by our
Operations teams in each state.
- Signatures on delivery are available in real time to Bunnings.
- For unsupervised building sites, drivers are equipped with technology to take photos of site, delivery contents and all delivery longitude and latitude points can pinpoint exactly where the goods were delivered.
BENEFITS AND OUTCOMES
- Improved delivery offer for Bunnings customers.
- Our easy to understand customer offer makes Bunnings team members comfortable selling their home delivery offer.
- ANC & Bunnings work closely together to ensure positive customer experiences
- Full compliance with WHS
- A team of drivers who positively represent the strong Bunnings brand.
- Bunning said overall transition and retention of drivers “far exceeded their expectations”
- Bunnings can monitor drivers and when to expect them at the next job.
- Scalable capacity for peak periods e.g. Christmas, Easter.
- Zero theft due to use of technology and reporting procedures.
- Critical information and proof of delivery has reduced potential bad debts for Bunnings.
- Savings and greater efficiency through ongoing analysis of routes and driver feedback.
- ANC now service in excess of 110 stores/Trade Centre’s nationally
WHAT OUR CLIENTS SAY
“Across the board, they’re the transport experts, others don’t have a thimble of experience compared to ANC.”
“Things go wrong in transport, it is a reactive environment, with traffic, products, vehicles etc. ANC’s ability to respond to issue with minimal pain means they’re easy to deal with day-to-day, friendly, helpful. They keep it simple and easy for my team.”
“What I value most about the relationship is the honesty, transparency, their commitment to the relationship and follow through.”
WHAT BUNNINGS SAY ABOUT ANC DRIVERS
“It’s down to Bob and Darren, they are irreplaceable to my business. They’re part of our team and always included.”
“The value ANC offers our business is huge. They represent our business, if they get that wrong we lose customers. We proactively ask for feedback and some customers request ‘Bob from ANC’. When that happens it’s a good spot to be in.”